Category: BDM
Hits: 53016


The Registry Office only records births that occur within the Cook Islands. It does not record births of "Cook Islanders" that occur outside of the Cook Islands.

For traveling to the Cook Islands purposes, if one of your parents is or both are Cook Islander(s) you may want to have your passport stamped with the "Cook Islands Status". For fee and application procedure please refer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Immigration web site.

By law, you are required to register the birth of your child within 14 days. Failure to do so will result in a penalty of NZ$10 being imposed for each month of being late (as at July 2010).


Who can apply for a birth certificate?


Where can I apply for a birth certificate?

You can apply in person or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. us with your request. Currently there is no facility for you to apply on-line.

You will need to provide the following details:

  1. your date of birth
  2. your place of birth
  3. the name of your parents
  4. your detailed current postal address if applied from overseas
  5. payment for the certificate. If applied from overseas payment at the Cook Islands High Commission/Consulate or via Western Union (for details please contact this office) NB. Payment must be in NZ currency